There are several issues, not related to your general health, that can cause those puffy eyes or under-eye bags. These issues can include:
- A sinus infection
- Seasonal & pet allergies
- A diet with an excess of salty foods
- Illness – causing fluid build up
- Genetic predisposition to puffy eyes
- Using face moisturiser that cannot penetrate the delicate skin around the eye area
- Underactive Thyroid – see your doctor for a test
- A cold
- Sleeping on your stomach – gravity
- Ageing skin which thins as we get older and loses elasticity
- Dehydration – we typically need 8 glasses of water per day
There are many daily lifestyle habits you can change to improve your puffy eyes, ridding your body of toxins and improving environmental stress:
- Reduce your daily salt (sodium) intake
- Lymphatic drainage massage during facial
- Establish an exercise routine to increase circulation
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your body and keep your bowels regular
- Reduce alcohol intake (causes dehydration)
- Avoid smoking (slows down your circulation and affects your liver function)
- Ensure enough sleep
- Change your sleep position to elevate your head and avoid the accumulation of fluid
- Select and use a specialised eye serum to hydrate and support ageing skin daily
Apply specialised Eye products to the area and massage into the orbital rim to increase circulation, drain towards the lymph nodes to reduce swelling and slow down the ageing process. Cosmetic Laser Solutions stocks the following specialised eye products:
Environ: Youth Essentia – Vita Peptide Eye Gel
Ingredients: Peptides, Lactic Acid, Argireline (a muscle relaxant) Optim Hyal (assists in producing Hyaluronic Acid) Retinyl Propionate, Vitamin C & E
Dermatonics: Revitalising Eye Cream
Ingredients: Cupuacu butter, Tucuma Fruit Extract, Noni extract, Jojoba oil, Bunya pine oil, Essential amino acids (peptides) D- Panthenol B5, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, Vit E & Resveratrol, Hyaluronic acid etc.
Environ: Skin Essentia – Antioxidant and Peptide Eye Gel (preventative)
Ingredients: Retinyl Propionate, Vit C, Vit E, Panthenol (B5) Peptides, Lactic Acid, Rooibos & honeybush, leaf & stem extract and Resveratrol (powerful Antioxidant)
Dermatonics: Nutridermaceuticals Eye Serum (Suitable for normal to oily skin)
Ingredients: Sodium Hyaluronate, Cucumber oil, Bisabolol, Aloe Vera Powder, Grapeseed Oil, Lily of the Nile powder extract, Davidson plum extract, Vitamin B5 & B3 (niacinamide), Jojoba oil, Finger lime etc.
Home remedies you can try in an emergency:
Cold compress or chilled eye mask: Apply for 15 minutes in the morning or before going out at night.
Cucumber: Apply chilled slices of cucumber to the eye area for 15 minutes.
Tea bags: Apply chilled wet tea bags containing tannin and caffeine to the eye area for 15 minutes – tannin draws out moisture and caffeine reduces puffiness.
Epsom salts: Wet two cotton rounds in a solution of Epsom salts and water and place on the eyes for 15 minutes. Use two fruits such as kiwi or lime to weight the cotton rounds onto the eye.
Egg whites: Apply a ½ tsp of egg white under the eyes with your fingers and allow to dry for about 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water – reduces inflammation and improves circulation.
If you experience Puffy Eyes, book in today so we can determine which specialised Eye product is best for you.